Book & Boats Tour: Paddling Schedule
When two young, talented and adventurous spirits collide, the result is a dynamic pair with more stories and photos than their combined 60 years should warrant. Leif Whittaker (who has summited the world’s highest peak twice) and Freya Fennwood (who has won kayak rolling contests in the world’s coldest waters) are packing up Pygmy kayaks along with Leif’s new book, My Old Man and the Mountain, and hitting the road this spring for a book and boats tour.
The Boats: They’ll be stopping along the way to paddle, of course, and invite you to join them (see schedule below). Each rendezvous will include a group paddle and a couple hours of test paddling. If you own a Pygmy this is a great opportunity to meet other Pygmy owners in the area! If you have yet to try a Pygmy Boat, this is your opportunity to do so.
The Book: My Old Man and the Mountain tells the story of Leif following in his father’s footsteps to the summit of Mount Everest (Leif’s father Jim Whittaker was the first American at the top of the Earth). It’s been extraordinarily well received, having made the PNBA Bestseller List and been named one of “The Top Ten Adventure Books of the Year.” It’s a great read worthy of throwing in the hatch on your next trip. It also just so happens to be available here.“Whittaker writes as he climbs mountains, with courage, grace, and a dash of humility. The result is an utterly compelling tale of a young man who bravely tackles two great challenges–one made of rock and ice and one made of doubts and fears. It’s a great read.” – Daniel James Brown, author of The Boys in the Boat.
We hope to see many of you along the way!
Be sure to check back as the date draws near for more any updates, including time/location changes due to weather and more specifics on each area, including links to maps.
- Lake Tahoe, California/Nevada – Friday, April 14th: Sand Harbor- Meet for a Pygmy rendezvous paddle at Noon followed by test paddling at 4:30 pm. Map
2. Lake Mead, Arizona/Nevada- Sunday, April 16th: Willow Beach Campground– Meet for a Pygmy rendezvous paddle at 12:30 followed by test paddling at 4:30 pm. Black Canyon Water Trail is now an Official National Water Trail! We will meet at the paddle craft only launch, called south beach. No launching fee, but there is a $20 entry fee to get into the Lake Mead National Recreation Area. Please note: It does seem to be the case that kayaks require an Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) decal. These are not available at the park. You must purchase prior to arrival through the Nevada Department of Wildlife (NDOW). This is a requirement regardless of whether you launch from Nevada or Arizona. Watercraft registered in Arizona are exempt from the decal requirement within the Lake Mead NRA. All non-registered vessels must display a AIS decal. Map
3. Lemon Reservoir, Colorado (near Durango): , Wednesday, April 26th: Update! We’ve switched from Vallecito to Lemon since the road will be closed on the east side of Vallecito. We will now meet at Miller Creek Campground on the east side of Lemon Reservoir for test paddling at noon, followed by a group paddle once folks have had a chance to try out different models. Map
4. Chatfield Lake, Colorado (near Denver) – Saturday, April 29th: Meet for test paddling at Noon at King Fisher Cove , followed by a group paddle once folks have had a chance to try out different models. King Fisher Cove is on the south end of the lake near the inflow of the Platte River that fills the reservoir. Map
5. Jordanelle Reservoir, Utah (near Salt Lake City)- Tuesday, May 2nd: Meet for a Pygmy rendezvous paddle at 12:00 followed by test paddling at 4:30 pm. Meet at Hailstone Recreation Area, personal watercraft ramp, we’ll be on the beach next to that! Map
6. Hebgen Lake, Montana (near Yellowstone)- Saturday, May 6th: Meet for test paddling at Noon at Rainbow Point Campground, followed by a group paddle once folks have had a chance to try out different models.. The campground doesn’t technically open until May 15th but you can still use the launches and/or stay at the campground for free. There just won’t be any services. Fingers crossed there’s no snow and the lake is open! Let’s kickstart a new season together! Map
Book Presentation Schedule:
- April 10th – University of Oregon – – Eugene, OR – 7pm presentation with Q&A and book signing to follow.
- April 13th – Alpenglow Sports – Tahoe City, CA – Presentation at local theater with Q&A and book signing to follow.
- April 18th– Origin Climbing and Fitness – Las Vegas, NV – 730pm presentation with Q&A and book signing to follow. Proceeds benefit The Juniper Fund!
- April 23rd– Back of Beyond Books – Moab, UT – 7pm presentation with Q&A and book signing to follow.
- April 25th– Maria’s Bookshop – Durango, CO – 6:30pm presentation with Q&A and book signing to follow.
- May 7th– Country Bookshelf – Bozeman, MT – 4pm presentation with Q&A and book signing to follow.
- May 9 – The Community Library – Ketchum, ID – 6pm presentation with Q&A and book signing to follow.
Some dates are still being added. For the most up to date book presentation schedule, please check here.
We hope to see you along the way!!!
For questions: please email us at email@example.com